From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-24 16:06:44

Some of you may remember discussion related to a potential submission of
a computational geometry library from Intel last year.

Interest in the library was expressed, and some interesting conversation
about technical specifics of the library ensued. The most common
feedback was "show us the code". At that time, I said that it would
take several months to get approval to release the code outside of
Intel. Eventually I decided to put the further discussion of my library
in boost on hold until I could release the code to you. Now I have
gotten approval to release the code to boost, licensed it under the
boost license and uploaded it to the vault under Math Geometry. Please
feel free to take a look and discuss the library on the list or directly
with me. See the README file for some more specific information about
the submission.

I realize that there has been a recent submission of a GIS data
processing library targeting cartography applications mostly, from
Barend Gehrels. I agree with him that the overlap between his library
and mine is minimal. He is using floating point arithmetic and works
with arbitrary angle polygons. My library is integer based and works
with polygons that are restricted to right angles and 45-degree angles.
Since last year I have added support for resizing of sets of polygons
that may have 45-degree edges. While there is some minimal numerical
adjustments that need to be made to ensure integer coordinates on the
output of such resize operations, that is still a far cry from what CGAL
or a good GIS data crunching library is doing. The two capabilities are
more complementary than competing.

I expect that many changes to my library will be recommended (or
required) by the boost community before it might be considered for
acceptance into boost. Also, I recognize that some synthesis between
multiple related geometry submissions (and ideas) is likely to take
place. I'm fine with that. That is what I want to happen and I why I
came to boost. Now that I am able to share the original source code
with you it is possible for fruitful discussion in that vein to resume.

Luke