From: Jonathan Franklin (franklin.jonathan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-26 18:33:15

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 4:16 PM, John Femiani <JOHN.FEMIANI_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Unnecessarily spent time is only part of the issue. The other has a lot
> to do with configuration. It can be hard to get separately compiled
> libraries to play nice together, if one is compiled with different
> settings you can get some unexpected behavior or worse. If the library
> is all-headers then it is always compiled the same way as the rest of my
> code, and I like that.

So honestly, if I add up all the time that I spend building boost and
configuring my various build environments (Solaris 10, Ubunty Gutsy, and
Windows+vc8), and compare that to the amount of time I spend building my own
code, I spend *way* more time compiling my own code. For me, the amount of
time spent re-compiling things that could have gone into a pre-built library
becomes very significant.

I still much prefer pre-building code up front where possible.

Please scroll through this list and check out how many people are
> talking about thing like 'problems linking boost on XXXXX'.
> -- wait, you wont have to scroll far will you :) Somebody just posted a
> new one!

Yeah, shocking how many people don't know how to use their compiler+linker.
;-)

Jon