From: Andreas Pokorny (andreas.pokorny_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-28 02:47:25

Hi,

2008/4/27 Phil Endecott <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]>:
> Christian Henning wrote:
> > Hi there, over the past few months I have been working on a new
> > version of gil's io extension.
> [...].
> In-memory jpegs: If I get my jpeg data from somewhere other than a
> file, e.g. from some sort of database, or from an in-memory cache or an
> mmap()ed file, do you have a way to use it?

It is possible to read from memory or any other thing that can be treated
like a stream. The read and write methods require a "device", there are
already implementations for FILE* and std::streams:
http://gil-contributions.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/gil_2/boost/gil/extension/io_new/detail/io_device.hpp
A device should provide {read|write,flush} and seek. It should be easy
to implement one for in-memory images.

kind regards
Andreas Pokorny