From: Lance.Diduck_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-04-28 18:26:43

>I want intrusive versions of stack/queue. The freelist could also be
made to use the stack.
In my design I did make the free list allocator use the stack. The stack
assumes that its nodes are intrusive style.
However, I have never seen published an intrusive queue. The Micheal
Scott queue relies on dummy nodes, where the last node dequed serves as
the new dummy node, the previous one being freed. This makes it
difficult (or impossible) to make the nodes intrusive.

>A simple freelist allocator that grabs blocks in pages would be
fantastic in a lot of cases.
The one I have does this. The drawback is that it make pointer
compression difficult. Compression is a good way to solve many ABA
problems on architectures where CAS2 is not available.
A compressing allocator/pointer pair would be required for any hope of
portability. Of course, noncompressing version should be available for
platofrm that could support it (such as Intel)
>The algo works inefficiently on IA64 because it copies the pointer when
IA64 only needs to copy the ABA counter >(it has cmp8xchg16b).
I have not seen an algorithm published that makes use of cmp8xchg16b.
Most algs I have seen want to swap both the pointer and the count, and
not just the pointer if the count is different.