From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-04-30 04:43:00

Johan Råde wrote:
> How did you implement these functions?
> Are they wrappers around functions provided by the compiler,
> or do you do some bit-twidling?

The current implementation uses only basic arithmetic operations and
frexp/ldexp:
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/sandbox/math_toolkit/boost/math/special_functions/next.hpp
but but there's scope to forward the implementations to native nextafter
implementations where available. So far I've only done this for msvc
doubles by way of an experiment / sanity check. There's no native or
optimised version of edit_distance - I'm assuming this will used mostly in
testing situations where out and out performance isn't so critical - which
is just as well because the logic is rather complex :-(

Feel free to work your bit twiddling magic on these :-)

Regards, John.