From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-01 15:00:38

on Wed Apr 30 2008, "Daniel Walker" <daniel.j.walker-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Aha! That just made me realize that I didn't fully understand what
> Dave was getting at yesterday. call() uses call-by-reference, and
> since boost::result_of<> treats all references as function references,
> you have to somehow decompose the reference before hand to determine
> what to pass to result_of<> so that it will do the right thing. OK.
> Then the snippet I sent yesterday will work for function references
> but not references to function objects. Still, I think the best thing
> to do in this case is to make call() accept only first-class function
> objects by value...

You're basically solving the problem by declaring it illegal. This
issue comes up because I *want* to handle all callable types, and I
expect to be able to use result_of to do it.

> especially since all the tools needed to treat built-in functions or
> references to function objects as values will be available in C++0x as
> soon as you #include <functional>.

Please, don't speak to me of what's coming in 0x, at least not in the
context of result_of. Presumably everything is warm, light, and golden
in that mystical year of the future, and we won't need result_of. ;-)

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting