From: Johan Torp (johan.torp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-14 19:21:44

Frank Mori Hess wrote:

> First, with signals/slots I can avoid having to make the scheduler thread
> wake
> up every time any input future of any method request in the scheduler
> queue
> becomes ready. Instead the individual method requests can observe their
> inputs, and only generate invoke a signal in turn when all of their
> futures
> are ready. Then the scheduler only has to observe the method requests and
> doesn't have to wake up (possibly spuriously) and check every method
> request
> in its queue every time a single input future becomes ready.
>
> Second, if all I can do is wait for multiple futures, then the scheduler
> has
> to additionally maintain and keep updated a separate container with all
> the
> input futures of the method requests currently queued.

If you have the time, please look at my proposed solution at
http://www.nabble.com/-future--Early-draft-of-wait-for-multiple-futures-interface-to17242880.html.
I think it solves both your problems without moving "user code execution"
from future-blocking threads to promise-fulfilling ones. I'm very interested
in seeing if it works well with scheduling and I think your input would be
very valuable.

Johan