From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-19 16:37:25

I was just reviewing the filesystem docs and came across "leaf()". I'm
sure this isn't the first time I've seen it, but this time I picked up a
little semantic dissonance. Normally we think of "leaf" in the context
of a tree as being a thing with no children. An interior node like a
directory that has files or other directories in it is usually not
called a "leaf." I wonder if this is the best possible name?

Is there a precedent we can draw on in some other language/library? In
python, it's os.path.basename(p). Perl, php, and the posix basename
command seem to do something similar.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing