From: Neil Mayhew (neil_mayhew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-22 10:53:29

On 2006-07-22 12:21:01, Beman Dawes wrote:
> [boost] [integer] endian-0.6 posted w/ names changed
> endian-0.6.zip has been posted in the integer directory of the file
> vault at http://boost-consulting.com/vault/

This code is still in the vault, but I'd like to see it in the main part
of boost. What needs to be done to make this happen?

The endian library is exactly what I've been looking for, and I would
really like to use it in my work, but I can't justify that to my
colleagues if it's not an official part of boost. I would hate to become
yet another person that reinvents this particular wheel. However, I
notice there was a lot of discussion
<http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2006/07/108125.php> about PODs vs
constructors, because of unions, so maybe not enough consensus was
reached? There were some interesting proposals but no agreed-upon
solution. In which case, I suspect that people will need to copy the
code and each hack it to suit their own purposes, which is not what
boost is all about.

I have two use cases from my own work: TrueType fonts, and Mac HFS+ file
systems. Both of these are big-endian file formats that need to be read
into memory and processed, so (FWIW) I would support the POD approach.
Currently, I can't use the code as-is because of the need to use the
types in unions.