From: Edd Dawson (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-22 14:49:10

On 22 May 2008, at 20:03, Mathias Gaunard wrote:

> Edd Dawson wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> A while ago, I implemented the Boost.Thread API in terms of Windows
>> Fibers and <uncontext.h> functionality. The result is the ability to
>> run code written with boost threads in a single OS thread.
>
> How is that different from boost.coroutine?

The API is different.

The underlying mechanisms used very similar. Indeed, I looked at
Boost.Coroutine as a basis for the library, but concluded that it
would be very difficult to use it. I must admit that the reason
escapes me currently and I am am happy to be proven wrong in this
regard. I think it might have been something to do with not being able
to represent the "main thread".

Regardless of what's going on underneath, I wanted to be able to run
my Boost.Thread-ed code without worrying about synchronization, to
check the algorithmic correctness. The Boost.Coroutine interface is
nothing like Boost.Thread's.

Kind regards,

Edd