From: Neil Mayhew (neil_mayhew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-23 09:37:34

On 5/23/08 7:11 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> In working on endian, I became convince that the C++ standard's POD
> specification was a serious impediment and needed major revision. The
> standards committee agreed, and so C++0x will include a major
> relaxation on the requirements for POD's... So the next step is to
> revisit the current endian design, and apply C++0x features where useful.

Thanks for this clarification. The standard changes sound great, and it
makes sense to take advantage of these in endian, where possible.

> Some of these features are starting to become available in compilers,
> so they can be tested.

However, I think it will be a while before I myself am able to use a
compiler with these features, whereas I'd like to use endian asap. How
about we get the current implementation into boost more or less as-is,
and then work on improving it with new compiler features as these become
available?

> I'm buried with other commitments, so if someone else wants to help
> with endian it might speed things up quite a bit.

What kind of help did you have in mind? Is there anything that needs to
be done that doesn't involve using new compiler features?

The areas that I am interested in seeing more work done on are (1)
making constructors "conditional" and (2) adding a bit-range access method.

--Neil