From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-24 07:34:41

Roland Schwarz wrote:

> The bottom line: For the endian lib to go into boost I really would
> want to require it being able to produce platform independent
> binary data.

Yes, of course. That's the most important requirement.

While the interface in endian.hpp is modern C++, the C implementation of
underlying struct has been in use since about 1984 on a very wide
variety of platforms. Data files have been exchanged without problems
between those platforms since then. Others have reported successful use
of the same technique. The standards committees understand the
importance of preserving layout compatibility for such structs.

--Beman