From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-24 10:03:54

Beman Dawes:
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>> Beman Dawes:
>>> The 1.36.0 release schedule has been set. For details, see
>>> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ReleaseSchedule
>>
>> No mention of 1.35.1? I (and others) have been committing fixes to the
>> release branch, expecting it to become .1 some day. Will it? As a release
>> manager of the 1.35.x family you ought to have an opinion. :-)
>
> It is fine with me if someone else manages a 1.35.1 release, although it
> isn't clear to me who that someone would be. Dave Abrahams is
> interested, but I doubt he has the time available.

OK. To explain why the question is important, and why the proper time to ask
it is now:

Developers need to know how to deal with bug reports against x.0. The usual
procedure is to issue x.1 with the bugs fixed. For this to happen, the bug
fixes need to be committed somewhere. Currently this somewhere is the
release branch due to lack of alternatives.

If we're leaving the x.1 door open, we need to address this question, and we
need to address it before parts of trunk get merged into the current release
branch. One easy way is to copy release to release_1_35 so that the 1.35.0
bug fixes have a place to go. The obvious problem is that no tests would be
running against that branch.

Another alternative is to release 1.35.1 first from the current release
branch, then start 1.36. The obvious problem is the possibility of 1.35.2.

A third alternative is to declare that we're no longer going to issue point
releases. This implies that the proper place to fix bugs against x.0 (before
the x+1.0 merges happen) is on trunk.