From: Douglas Gregor (dgregor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-24 10:50:55

Hi Larry,

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 08:36 -0500, Larry Evans wrote:
> I got to the page:
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/CMakeBuildFeatures
> from a link on:
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/CMake
> with name:
> * Tune the CMake build configuration (verbosity, tests, variants)?
> However, nothing on CMakeBuildFeatures mentions how to specify which
> compiler *variant* to use.

Compiler variant? Do you mean specifying a specific compiler or changing
the compilation options?

> Also,
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/CMakeBuildConfiguration
> mentions ccmake without any link explaining where to get it.

Good, thanks. We should revise this introduction to point users at
"cmake-gui", which is the graphical configuration utility available on
most Unix variants. "ccmake" is still there, of course, but the Qt
cmake-gui is nicer. (This is now ticket 1945 in the Trac)

> Also on
> CMakeBuildConfiguration there's:
>
> On unix, run
>
> ccmake <path-to-source>
>
> or
>
> ccmake <path-to-build>
>
> but no explanation of why there's two ways to do what, at this point
> in the docs, appears to be the same thing. Only later, at the phrase:
>
> The same information is stored in a file CMakeCache.txt located in
> the build directory. This is what ccmake reads if it is started
> pointing to a build directory.
>
> is the reason for the 2nd cmake command obvious; however, it would be
> clearer to say run:
>
> ccmake <path-to-source>
>
> the first time, and then you can run:
>
> ccmake <path-to-build>

Good point, thanks! I've done some editing to the wiki page, but of
course anyone is free to go and try to clarify this documentation
further.

  - Doug