From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-28 05:18:16

Daniel James wrote:
> On 27/05/2008, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> First the good news: some libraries already provide PDF's of their
>> docs, for example the regex, math, type_traits and tr1 libraries
>> all have links to the PDF versions of their docs from their title
>> pages.
>
> The pdf links in the math libraries are broken. If it's okay, I'll fix
> them in trunk and release.

Oh :-(

Looks like a missing // in the URL.

Yes please do go ahead and fix if you're willing that would be great.

>> However, if anyone would like help getting their quickbook docs
>> converted to PDF, I'm certainly willing to help with that as I have
>> all the necessary tools etc set up here.
>
> I'd be interested in trying. Are there linux tools available? I think
> I remember you saying that the only decent ones were commercial.

Right, the only decent FO processor IMO is XEP, it's a Java app so I assume
it'll work on Linux but I've never tried it. There's a free edition
available that places a discrete banner add at the bottom of each page - see
the math docs for example. Actually I seem to recall they offered Boost a
free copy of the full product, but we never got our act together with
somewhere to host it :-(

In any case XEP and Apache FOP are command line compatible so you easily
switch between them in your user-config.jam, for simple use cases Apache FOP
is fine, but it's pagination routines aren't nearly as good as XEP's for
more complex situations.

HTH, John.