From: Frank Mori Hess (fmhess_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-30 20:21:47

On Friday 30 May 2008 17:41, Giovanni Piero Deretta wrote:
> Hum, I think that boost already has such a dispatcher: it is called
> asio::io_service ;).
>
> IMHO futures wait sets should be used to wait for very few events. If
> the number of events grows significantly, it is probably a sign that
> the application would be better redesigned as an event driven state
> machine. I do not think it is worth optimizing futures for large N.

That's essentially where I started. To do an event driven design requires
the ability to generate an event when a future completes. That means a
completion callback as part of the future's public interface. A
completion callback has been resisted as too dangerous, and waits on
groups of futures offered as a safer alternative. Therefore, I'm trying
to insist the wait functionality be sufficient to build a decent scheduler
on.