From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-03 10:59:12

This issue has been raised before after a user noted that round-tripping via serialisation or lexical_cast did not work - always :-(

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=98770

http://tinyurl.com/vhpvo

The key issue is whether conversion (input) from a decimal digit string of sufficient length (17 for 64-but double for example)
should *always* give the *nearest representable* double.

The Standard isn't explicit about this, but the papers you mention show that it can be done, and other systems than MS manage this.

I don't think Microsoft's response shows that they understand this (except that they apparently have a C# function that DOES
guarantee this!)

For my money, this is a simple off by one bug, but I'm not ploughing though the Dinkumware iostreams code to find where!

If you don't meet this requirement, I don't think you can't expect any round tripping to work.

I've glanced at the Burger and Dybvig algorithms you quote, but they don't seem too simple to implement. If any one can get they to
work, they would be most valuable.

Paul

---
Paul A Bristow
+44 1539561830 & SMS, Mobile +44 7714 330204 & SMS
pbristow_at_[hidden]