From: Felipe Magno de Almeida (felipe.m.almeida_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-20 20:37:14

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:41 PM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

Hi David,

[snip - bad user experience with BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT]

> For several releases now we've had a suite of static assertion tools
> that give far superior error messages to what BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT can
> provide
> (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/libs/mpl/doc/refmanual/asserts.html).
> I think <radical-idea>it's time to deprecate
> BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT</radical-idea> or at *least* put a prominent note in
> its documentation directing people at the BOOST_MPL_ASSERT macros.
>
> Thoughts?

Couldn't BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT be implemented as:

#define BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT(x) BOOST_MPL_ASSERT(x)

?

I like how easy it is to use BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT:

#include <boost/static_assert.hpp>

BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT(( /*whatever*/ ));

It is more straightforward than BOOST_MPL_ASSERT.

--
Felipe Magno de Almeida