From: Stephen Nuchia (snuchia_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-25 11:51:50

Are you saying that the difference in syntax is significant? Is the
line you quoted, presumably prefixed with "bjam ", supposed to be
sufficient?

Sure enough, I can build up a command using the bare property names (no
msvc/) and it seems to work....

C:\code\Version 9\boost>bjam toolset=msvc-9.0 address-model=64
link=static,shared runtime-link=static,shared --with-regex
--with-test --build-dir="C:\code\my-solution-root\Release-x64\boost"
release stage

I have a difficult time picturing why this works and the other doesn't
but hey, if this is the incantation that works, this is the incantation
I'll use. Plug it into the Visual Studio "Makefile" project build,
rebuild, and clean command line textboxes, with suitable macro
substitutions, and I should have the automation I need.

Since this builds all the sensible combinations and skips the stupid
ones there's no need for the "for loop" mechanism in my earlier post.
But if you want to cherry-pick configurations to save time and/or space,
that mechanism will still work.

I still need to tease out the magic words to control the other
optimization features but there are clues in the archives for those.
I'll also have to cobble together a mechanism to make bjam use the
modified compiler driver when DevPartner is active but that's a job for
another day.