From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-25 12:45:22

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Stephen Nuchia wrote:
>
>> Are you saying that the difference in syntax is significant? Is the
>> line you quoted, presumably prefixed with "bjam ", supposed to be
>> sufficient?
>
> Yes. To clarify, you've originally mentioned:
>
> --toolset=msvc msvc/architecture=x86/address-model=64
>
> and "--toolset=msvc" is exactly same as "toolset=msvc", so the above is:
>
> toolset=msvc toolset=msvc/architecture=x86/address-model=64
>
> and it's requesting two build everything twice -- in 32-bit mode, and
> 64-bit mode, and given that library filenames are the same, naturally things
> don't really work well.
>
> This is yet another example how "--toolset" confuses everybody.

I seriously doubt the additional "--" are the real source of the
confusion in this case.

However, feel free to remove it if you think it's more confusing than
helpful. Just open a ticket for me to update the getting started guide
appropriately. Actually, we probably should just deprecate it (i.e.
only remove its documentation but not the implementation) for backward
compatibility and so people finding old web pages and suchlike will not
fail to build too early on :-)

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing