From: James Sharpe (james.sharpe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-29 20:18:40

What we gain is the ability to be making bug fix releases of previous
versions whilst working on the next release. With the current system
there is no way of doing this simultaneously, if we want a bug fix
release, which I'd suggest should happen, given the demand we've seen
on the list, we need a method of doing so.

As far as testing, the issue of manually updating the builders could
be dealt with by having a config file available on boost.org which
specifies the svn path and configuration that should be tested.
Updating the release testing group is then simply a matter of updating
this one file centrally. Deficiencies in the testing scripts should
not be a reason to disregard a particular release procedure if the
deficiency can be addressed IMO.

Also with regard to stabilising trunk, I agree it won't be as easy,
so instead maintain the current pratice and simply change the proposal
to branch from the last stable release, thus giving the option of
continuing to maintain the release on the same branch.

As for tracking release history, try out some distributed version
control systems, such as git or bzr, they make this kind of thing much
easier, and I think that we should seriously be considering using
them, this would mean we could get rid of the sandbox, since new
libraries an simply be considered as branches from trunk, whih could
have an enforced naming convention so it is clear they have yet to be
accepted.

James

Sent from Google Mail for mobile