From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-30 15:20:10

Matthias,

> >> I'd have to carefully read through the hundreds of lines of
> >> output ;-)
> >> But right of the top of my head I remember also seeing graph with
> the
> >> warnings.
> >
> > I didn't imply that! Just thought you already had this information.
> >
> > After some chatting with Joel we decided to switch on the warnings
> > depending
> > on the Boost version used. The warnings will be shown starting from
> > Boost
> > 1.38. Additionally we put some prominent note into the docs
> > preparing people
> > to this move.
>
> Does this mean we don't have to use BOOST_SPIRIT_USE_OLD_NAMESPACE for
> 1.36 yet since you'll drop the warnings until 1.38?

As long as you're using the old headers you don't need this because it's
implied. As soon as you switch to the new headers you need to add this
define (at least if you don't want to change the code as well).

To explain this: we moved the old Spirit (V1.8) to a new namespace
boost::spirit::classic. The BOOST_SPIRIT_USE_OLD_NAMESPACE brings the old
code back into boost::spirit. As long as you don't plan to use
Spirit.Classic (V1.8) and Spirit.Qi (V2.0) in your code at the same the
BOOST_SPIRIT_USE_OLD_NAMESPACE should ensure full compatibility. In the long
run you might want to consider switching to the new headers
(boost/spirit/include/classic_...) and change the code to use the new
namespace (boost::spirit::classic).

HTH
Regards Hartmut