From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-01 08:41:33

Daryle Walker wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2008, at 11:11 AM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> The C++ committee's LWG issue 805 has been applied to Boost.System in
>> trunk, using a namespace and enum as a workaround for non-availability
>> of C++ scoped enums. This changes names:
>>
>> posix_errno -> errc
>> posix_category -> generic_category
>> get_posix_category -> get_generic_category
>> "POSIX" -> "GENERIC"
>>
>> The old names are still supported as deprecated synonyms, so virtually
>> no existing code is expected to break. The changes tested OK locally
>> on Windows against Boost.Filesystem and Boost.ASIO.
>
> Shouldn't these libraries use the new names? (I noticed that the
> changes in these libraries are older than the change in Boost.System, so
> they are still using the old names.)

They don't use the names at all, afaik. These changes should only affect
user code which tests error codes against the generic error conditions.
The libraries, on the other hand, generate the error codes from the
operating system (i.e. from the errno or equivalent that you get from a
system call) and so use the system category rather than the
posix/generic category.

Cheers,
Chris