From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-04 09:38:05

Boris wrote:
> I stumbled over Boost.Process some months ago. The library was created
> as a Google Summer of Code project in 2006 (see
> http://www.netbsd.org/~jmmv/process/). As I needed the functionality
> provided by this library and didn't manage to contact the author I went
> through the code myself to tidy it up, fix various bugs, convert the
> documentation to DocBook etc.
>
> I also added one minor but important improvement: With Boost.Asio 1.1
> it's now possible to use asynchronous I/O (on Windows the macro
> BOOST_PROCESS_WINDOWS_USE_NAMED_PIPE must be defined as on Windows only
> named pipes support asynchronous I/O).
>
> I've been using the library myself only on Windows so far where it seems
> to work fine. I didn't make any tests yet on a POSIX platform. I didn't
> update the documentation yet much either. And I have no idea how to
> integrate the samples and test programs into Boost.Build (there are two
> Jamfiles but don't be surprised if they don't work :).
>
> As this library wasn't touched for nearly 2 years I don't know if there
> is any interest at all. As I had tidied up the code now anyway for my
> own purposes I provide a new snapshot for the community. You can find
> everything (including a link to download version 0.2) here:
> http://www.highscore.de/boost/process/

It is the nature of Google Summer of Code projects that the original
developer may drift off once the summer is over. So thank you very much
for stepping in to reviving this project!

It would be great if you and others interested in Boost.Process could
bring it forward for formal review. You might want to contact Jeff
Garland, the original mentor, to see if he has any additional insights.

--Beman