From: Thorsten Ottosen (thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-10 04:56:45

Maciej Sobczak skrev:
> Hi,
>
> After more than one year and a half from the last release I'm pleased to
> announce the availability of the next major SOCI release (3.0.0).
>
> The SOCI library is a C++ database access library that during the last
> years was recognized for its innovative interface, ease of use and high
> quality. The main project website is:
>
> http://soci.sourceforge.net/
>
> The 3.0.0 release brings many improvements and new features. Some of
> them were suggested here during previous discussions on database
> interfaces. Some of them will be explained in more detail below.
>
> The most important of the new library features include:
>
> * Naming and coding convention compliant with Boost.
>
> * Integration with Boost types: optional, tuple, fusion and
> gregorian::date.
>
> Please see <http://soci.sourceforge.net/doc/boost.html> for details.

All the optional examles use 'is_initialized()'. It seems like the
non-idiomatic way:

   if (name.is_initialized())

should be

   if( name )

IMO.

> What is the future of database interfacing from the Boost community
> point of view?
>
> Proposing SOCI as a candidate library for Boost might be a possible
> answer to this question, but it is not obvious in a wider perspective.
> Some of the SOCI users do not use Boost for various reasons and this
> justifies retaining SOCI as a separate entity (note: even though SOCI
> offers extensive integration with Boost, it does not mandate it and SOCI
> can be compiled without any reference to Boost). Most likely solution is
> to keep SOCI orbiting around Boost in terms of coding conventions and
> seamless interfacing, as it does today, so that benefits for all
> interested parties can be retained.
>
> Your comments and suggestions considering the above are very welcome.

I would prefer a submission to boost. Formal reviews tend to provide
more and deeper feedback than pre-review comments can give.

John Maddock has made the tool "bcp"

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/tools/bcp/bcp.html

that allows one to easily make a boost library into an independent
project. I think it will be possible to retain low coupling to other
boost components.'

Nice work!

-Thorsten