From: James Sharpe (james.sharpe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-11 05:20:18

Beman,

I'm calling into question the decisions you've made with regards to where
you start a new branch for a release from in the light of the fact that you
are diffing against trunk. To me it seems like you are making a lot of work
for yourself and maintainers by requiring that changes get merged from trunk
to release, with release having been based upon the previous release. If
you're only then going to diff against trunk for differences then why not
just start from trunk in the first place and revert commits that are
destined for the next release? Seems to me like you'd have a much easier job
and people wouldn't need to worry so much about merging before the deadline;
all they'd have to ensure is that there changes are in trunk before the
release branch creation date and then it would simply be a case of reverting
features that aren't destined for the release. I think this would be a
smaller workload for creating releases, as then the remainder of the time
can be spent patching the release to remove regressions.

What are people's thoughts on the matter?

James