From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-13 16:50:17
I was fixing up a test file, and the compilation failed complaining
that "'type' is not a member of 'boost'" within the innards of a
"BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE_TEMPLATE" line. I figured out that the error
was referring to the obscure boost::type class template in "boost/
type.hpp". I included that file, and then the compiler complained
saying that "'template_test_case_gen' is not a member of
'boost::unit_test::ut_detail'." Doing a multiple-file search, I
realized the true problem.
1. BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE_TEMPLATE is #defined in "boost/test/
2. This template depends on boost::type and
3. template_test_case_gen is defined in "boost/test/
test_case_template.hpp", which happens to #include "boost/type.hpp"
4. Neither of the appropriate headers are directly #included in
5. I guess that one or both headers were indirectly #included in
"unit_test_suite.hpp", but that indirect header purged the headers I
needed, and the author _forgot_ that another header was counting on
the old indirect #include.
I worked around the problem for now by directly #including "boost/
test/test_case_template.hpp" in my test file.
But I shouldn't have to do this.
Worse, this has happened before with Boost.Test, in regards to the
floating point comparison tests. Those test macros called a function
that wasn't in the same header, nor #included; i.e. the user has to
add an extra #include for the floating-point test macros to work.
The floating-point incident was a deliberate design decision, but I
guess that my problem here was caused by accident.
The point: DIRECTLY #include everything a macro needs in that macro's
header. I'm sick & tired of hunting all the extra headers I need.
Worse, I'll have to re-hunt when my test program craps out if/when
the author re-arranges all the macros & headers.
My point  is only a guess because I wasted two hours searching the
trac/subversion site for where & when the author broke the build. I
didn't find it, and I figured that I shouldn't have to.
When you fix this, let me know so I can remove the extra #include
from my test file.
(Apologies in advance if the real problem is that my subversion
working copy is severely fried.)
-- Daryle Walker Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie darylew AT hotmail DOT com
Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk