From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-16 13:59:59

on Tue Jul 15 2008, "Robert Ramey" <ramey-AT-rrsd.com> wrote:

> Now when someone checks in a breaking
> change. errors pop up all over the place in test results that the
> author who caused the problem doesn't have any reason to check.
> He who has had his library broken has to investigate the cause
> of the sudden breakage and trace down to its source and then
> complain. This is a huge pain in the neck and costs a lot of
> time and frustration.

And will soon be a thing of the past. We're going to test every
revision in select regions of the repository (e.g. trunk, release...).
We're going to be able to pinpoint which checkin causes breakage, and
who is responsible for it, even if the failure occurs in a dependent
library's tests. Library authors ought to know when someone else has
broken their library, but there may be no reason to panic because the
onus will be on whoever did the checkin to make a fix.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing