From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-28 19:43:43

on Mon Jul 28 2008, "Emil Dotchevski" <emil-AT-revergestudios.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 3:47 PM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> on Mon Jul 28 2008, "Emil Dotchevski" <emil-AT-revergestudios.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Any opinions on adding a new category in libs/libraries.htm, Error
>>> Reporting, containing static_assert and the exception lib?
>>
>> I have a small objection. Or maybe not-so-small.
>>
>> Assertions are for precondition violations -- they detect programming
>> errors. Exceptions are for failure to satisfy postconditions. They're
>> really very different.
>
> Since we don't have a category for detecting and reporting failures,
> it seems a good idea to create one. I'm all for a better name for it,
> of course.
>
> The problem is that the exception lib doesn't belong in any of the
> existing categories, except maybe the Miscellaneous category. :)

Well, maybe that's where it belongs. static assert and Boost.Test are
in the category of something like "program validation and testing" and
don't belong in the same category as something designed for dealing with
resource exhaustion and other essentially non-preventable and
(hopefully) recoverable conditions.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing