From: Ruediger Berlich (ruediger.berlich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-29 04:22:23

Hi there,

I was wondering whether there would be a need for additional systems for
automated, nightly builds. My employer would agree to make a few (3-4)
machines available, with Linux-based operating systems. This would be a
VMWare ESX-based setup, although on high-performance hardware (8-core
blades).

I would personally be most interested in a test environment with the
OpenSUSE 11 64 bit / g++ 4.3.1 combo. It might be possible to also have an
OpenSolaris/Intel installation there, or an installation with Intel's C++
compiler.

A pre-condition would be that no external access to the machines is needed,
i.e. it would not be possible for Boost members to log in. Instead, I would
set up the test environment as needed, and of course it would be possible
for these machines to contact the outside world and transmit test results.

Thus my question, what needs to be done to set up such a test environment.

Note that I cannot give a guaranty for long-term availability, as a) I do
not know how much work is involved in running such an environment and b) it
might become necessary for the systems to be used in other contexts. If
this turns out to be pretty much self-hosting (i.e. the build-environment
is self-sustained on a normally configured Linux system), I would aim to
ensure that the systems are available for a longer period.

Best Regards,
Ruediger

/*************************************************************************/
The Steinbuch Centre for Computing of Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
(the Cooperation of Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH and Universitaet
Karlsruhe TH) will run its annual GridKa School from September 8th to
12th, 2008. Please find further information at http://www.fzk.de/gks08 .

Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH
Sitz: Weberstraße 5
76133 Karlsruhe
Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 100302
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Vors. der Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Eberhard Umbach