From: Andrew Sutton (asutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-07 11:37:21

>> You might also consider that the BGL is fairly dated and stagnant,
>> and
>> in need of some serious TLC. Whether or not property maps
>> continue to
>> exist in the same form in future renditions of the library is
>> anybody's guess - I'm leaning towards "no".
>
> Hm, and what do you propose as an alternative? I can't see how we
> could
> do without them.
>
> I might like some trivial syntactic changes
>
> get(m, k) ==> m(k)
> put(m, k, v) ==> m(k,v)
>
> but that's about it.

Basically, yeah. With the addition of lambda expressions, the put/get
functions could basically disappear, and the act of building property
maps becomes the art of writing lambda functions. At least, that's
the theory. The concepts don't really change either. There can still
a read, write, and lvalue concepts. They just appear as:

m(k) // read
m(k, x) // write
m(k) = x // lvalue

Or something like that. I have part of an implementation of new
property maps in my SoC directory (sandbox/SOC/2008/graphs).

Andrew Sutton
asutton_at_[hidden]