From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-08 07:48:17

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Wed Aug 06 2008, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Eric Niebler wrote:

>>> Whew, thanks Beman! How do you get to that page? I go to boost.org,
>>> click on "Development", and then on "Release Summary".
>> I don't look at www.boost.org, because I assume it applies to the
>> current release.
>>
>> Instead I look at beta.boost.org, because I assume it applies to the
>> release under development.
>
> Can we expect developers (and other interested parties) to figure out
> that they need to look at a hidden site to find this information? And
> doesn't the fact that it's a beta mean that it could churn and make the
> results unavailable or wrong without warning? Shouldn't our most
> important testing results be hosted in a stable environment? It's
> common to have a "development" or "developers" link that takes you to
> materials about the unreleased code on the front page of a project's
> site.
>
> Sounds like the current arrangement is not very user-friendly. Can we
> change it?

Good questions.

Is one of the consequences of separating web site content from release
content is that this becomes a question for the web site team rather
than the release management team? Perhaps we should explicitly identify
who the web site team is, what their responsibilities are, and where the
dividing line is between release management and web site management.

--Beman