From: dherring_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-08-08 14:37:24

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, Steven Watanabe wrote:
> dherring_at_[hidden] wrote:
>> Official or not, Boost effectively endorses \n as the one true line
>> ending; the release files have names like boost_1_35_0.7z and
>> boost_1_35_0.tar.bz2, no line-ending choice available.
>
> The .zip files have \r\n line endings.

Beman pointed out the 7z files do as well. My bad. I entered a trac
issue; the downloads page on the website should probably embellish
"Platform independent" with "(\r\n line endings)" and "(\n line endings)".

>> SVN should not act like FTP with text and binary modes, munging bytes
>> as they flow. It should maintain bytewise-exact copies of what the
>> user intended, possibly with commit hooks to reject bad line endings.
>
> Have you read
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BoostSubversion#MIMETypesandEnd-Of-LineStyles

I've looked at it before and think its a mess. Why can't SVN store this
info be on the server under central administration? Don't these settings
affect all SVN projects a developer works on, not just boost?

Configure a few Windows editors and compilers to use the plain \n, and
this can all go away...

- Daniel