From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-09 17:50:56

Before we can ship 1.36.0, some "Getting Started" documentation changes
are needed. These changes are the only thing preventing 1.36 from
shipping. Enough said.

* Section 1, Get Boost, both Windows and Unix Variants: need to begin
with a suggestion that users first check for the availability of
platform specific installers, linked to the correct URL.

[Rationale: the platform specific installers are the preferred way for
users to install Boost if their platform is one of those supported.]

Questions for Doug: Are the platform specific installers to be hosted on
SourceForge as part of the "boost" package? What is the initial set of
platform specific installers that will be provided for 1.36?

* Section 1, Get Boost, Windows: current text needs to be updated if
Boost Consulting is not going to be also providing installers.

[Rationale: The current wording is very specific, thus needs careful
adjustment to match reality.]

* New section, before the current section 1: Suggest visiting
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/more/getting_started/index.html to
see if there has been a "Getting Started" documentation update.

[Rationale: that way we can push out better docs as soon as available,
instead of having to wait for the next release.]

* Section 5.2.4, Invoke bjam, both Windows and Unix Variants: needs to
say what library variants (static/dynamic, debug/release,
multi-threaded/not) are build by default.

[Rationale: (1) It is too late to change the default behavior for
1.36.0. (2) The worst problem with the new defaults isn't the specific
choices, but that those choices aren't documented, and (3) it needs to
be crystal clear how to build the full set.]

* Section 5.2.4, Invoke bjam, both Windows and Unix Variants: after the
current contents, needs to give the exact command line for building all
library variants.

[Rationale: resolves (3) in prior item.]

Since Dave is on vacation, I'm not sure he will be able to make these
changes. If he can't make them, I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

--Beman