From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-15 02:13:04

On 15/08/2008, Emil Dotchevski <emil_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Clicking the XHTML 1.0 link in the documentation (which checks for
> conformance) seems to report errors on the pages of all of the few
> libraries I clicked, including the Exception library. Note that the
> documentation at
> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/release/libs/exception/doc/boost-exception.html
> is XHTML 1.0 compliant.
>
> Is this a bug in documentation processing? Is there anything library
> authors can do to fix it?

It's because the underlying documentation is HTML and we don't really
try to convert it or it's invalid XHTML and we don't do anything to
fix it. Fixing this is a fairly large job, and far down on the
priorities. The simplest thing we could do is run every page through
tidy, but that could lead to other problems (because it would change
markup).

We're actually serving the files as HTML, so the browsers just treat
them as tag soup anyway (XHTML is generally not valid HTML, athough
that could change with HTML5). This is a very common situation as
Internet Explorer doesn't support XHTML.

Daniel