From: Nicola Musatti (Nicola.Musatti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-18 04:01:24

Beman Dawes <bdawes <at> acm.org> writes:

> Eric Niebler wrote:
> > Beman Dawes wrote:
> >> Will any new libraries be ready to go in the next release?
> >>

> > I'm hoping to get proto in. Why do you ask?
>
> To determine if the next release is 1.37.0 or 1.36.1, so I can bump the
> version number.

Wouldn't it be better to keep the minor release numbers for strictly bug-fix, no
major API/ABI change type of releases? In my opinion the middle number should
always be bumped for planned, quarterly releases. If at one round there is
little to add it makes it a good opportunity to compensate in delays from
previous releases and to tune the release procedure.

It would be great if resources were available to issue bug-fix releases
regularly, say as gcc does. As it is bug-fix releases are only issued when they
are perceived as inevitable, and a place in the numbering scheme should be kept
aside for those.

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti