From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro.prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-20 12:01:33

Daryle Walker wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>> Gennaro Prota wrote:
     [...]
>>> where does the release branch originate from?
>>
>> It's always from the previous release.
>

> Is this a good thing?

Not to me. I imagine that, in a time in which I wasn't following the
list, there have been long discussions which led to the current state
of affairs. So, it may be clear to everyone except me. What I know for
sure is that this requires *a lot* of work every time you make a
modification; and either a lot of memory on your part, or a file where
you note the inter-release changes down, detailedly (I certainly don't
trust merging a whole directory (or multiple ones) blindly: I want to
see exactly what gets merged; and, to do this, I have to keep a list
of what changes I made). With such an approach, I'd expect more
problems due to naive merges than problems due to an unstable trunk
version being used as a branch point.

My $1.7 cent

--
Genny