From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-20 13:31:43

Daryle Walker wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:34 AM, Rene Rivera wrote:
>
>> Gennaro Prota wrote:
>>> Hi Beman, Rene, Daniel,
>>> I know I should already know this, but I was completely lost in the
>>> Wiki pages. Perhaps just the stifling heat we have here. Well, I made
>>> several changes related to dynamic_bitset, in trunk, and I thought
>>> they would be (now) in the release 1.37 branch. They aren't. So,
>>> where does the release branch originate from?
>>
>> It's always from the previous release.
>

> Is this a good thing? Wouldn't this mean that the releases will diverge
> from the trunk, increasingly so after each release? I feel that would
> be _very_ bad. Is there some sort of merging going on between the trunk
> and release (in either direction, or both)? We don't want fixes and new
> libraries on the trunk being missed for release.

Right. That's why the release manager runs an "unmerged changes"
analysis later in the release cycle and pesters developers who appear to
have been lax about merging changes.

> Shouldn't the final form of the release workspace be merged back into
> the trunk (and then the branch [but not tag] deleted), and the next
> version's workspace branched from the merged trunk?

No. That's the "Wild West" system we used to use. It was a nightmare to
manage. The new system is much better since branches/release stays much
more stable, allowing us to get releases out quarterly.

--Beman