From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-20 20:38:34

Gennaro Prota wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
>> On 20/08/2008, Christian Larsen <contact_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> The more I read about how you manage the repository, the more I
>>> wonder why you don't do like most projects I have been working
>>> with. Maybe that is what you are doing, but I can't get my head
>>> around it. ;)
>> [snip explanation]
>>
>> The main obstacle is testing. We need the feedback from the
>> regression testing to tell if our code works on the large number of
>> platforms and compilers.
>
> I have yet to understand how testing on trunk tells if your code will
> work in branches/release.

It doesn't necessarily, but if your changes don't cause any regressions
on trunk, and you merge to branches/release *and you test locally before
you commit*, then you can be reasonably sure they won't cause any surprises.

I'll second Robert's emotion that the new system is better than the old,
even if it means a little extra work on my end. It's as simple as doing
a diff between the code I own on trunk and release before a release to
see if there are fixes I need to merge. That's a small price to pay,
IMO, for a stable release branch and regular quarterly releases.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing