From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-21 12:11:13

John Maddock wrote:

> In short: commit to trunk, wait for the test results to cycle at least
> once, and when you're sure that the code is stable and release ready
> on all supported platforms, only then merge to the release branch.
This description of 'trunk' sounds more like it should be called
'sandbox' to me.
May be that would indeed be a good idea to clarify the process you are
promoting.

> The expectation is that most people will merge to the release branch
> only periodically, when there are a number of release-ready changes
> pending.

As usual, this may get quite complex if changesets are interdependent.
I.e., it may be that one patch that went into trunk only works because
of another patch in trunk, but would fail in release without the other
there applied first.

In any case, thanks for the clarification !

       Stefan