From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-21 13:20:30

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>

>>> The expectation is that most people will merge to the release branch
>>> only periodically, when there are a number of release-ready changes
>>> pending.
>>>
>> As usual, this may get quite complex if changesets are interdependent.
>> I.e., it may be that one patch that went into trunk only works because
>> of another patch in trunk, but would fail in release without the other
>> there applied first.
>>

> If this shows up when a merge is made of a library into the release
> ready branch it should be considered a bug as it must be a break
> in an interface contract.

I fail to understand what you are saying. As far as I know, there are no
'interface contracts' on trunk. And, adding a new feature in patch A,
which a subsequent patch B relies on is certainly a possibility, if not
even likely. The point I'm trying to make is that, as far as I can see,
there is no dependency tracking between changesets, so it may be hard to
tell whether a merge of any changeset from trunk to the release branch
will be self-contained, or rely on another merge being done first.

Anyways, my main point remains this:

The way you treat the 'release branch' is how other projects use 'trunk'
for, while what you name 'trunk' is more of a 'sandbox' elsewhere.
Only that boost doesn't have what other projects call release branches,
so you are unable to do bugfix-only releases.

Regards,
       Stefan