From: Anthony Williams (anthony.ajw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-22 04:38:52

"Simon Thornington" <simon.thornington_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Ok, thanks. Is it fair to say that these MSVC macros are assuming x86
> architecture? Would this code still be safe on IA? (I don't personally
> have to deal with Itanium, I'm just curious now).

The Microsoft docs for the latest versions of their compiler say that
volatile reads have a acquire semantics, so it should be fine. At the
assembly language level, you do need a ld.acq instruction though
rather than a simple ld. I haven't checked whether the compiler does
this.

Anthony

--
Anthony Williams            | Just Software Solutions Ltd
Custom Software Development | http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk