From: Joshua Peterson (petersonjm1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-25 21:24:44

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 6:00 PM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Let's get back to basics. Does this program compile for you?
>>
>> #include <boost/filesystem/operations.hpp>
>>
>> int main()
>> {
>> boost::filesystem::copy_file( L"foo", L"bar" );
>> return 0;
>> }
>>
>> In compiles fine for me on Ubuntu 8.04.1 and g++ 4.2.1. I haven't had a
>> chance yet to build the libraries to see if it links. I'll do that later
>> tonight or tomorrow.
>>

> Update: the above compiles, links, and runs fine for me.

Yes, it compiles, links, and runs for me as well. Getting back to basics
has isolated the problem I am having. The client code which uses copy_file
is compiled using MainWin, implements the Win32 API, and defines _WIN32,
WIN32, etc. So the Boost.Filesystem code from the headers is compiling with
BOOST_WINDOWS_API defined. However, the Boost.Filesystem library was
compiled with GCC natively (i.e. without MainWin), so it has BOOST_POSIX_API
defined. These clearly cannot work together.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, Beman, I really appreciate it. This
has been puzzling me for some time. I'm glad that we have found the
problem.

Josh