From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-26 23:07:44

on Tue Aug 26 2008, "Robert Ramey" <ramey-AT-rrsd.com> wrote:

> Marshall Clow wrote:
>> At 10:38 PM +0200 8/26/08, Christian Larsen wrote:
>
>> Basically, you can never remove an interface, because someone,
>> somewhere might be using it.
>
> That's basically correct - that's why in general you should only extend
> an interface or make a new interface. To do otherwise breaks
> faith with the users of your library.
>
> No problem if you want to create a new interface - just
> give it a new name.

1. I agree with Marshall. Code rots and dies and is eventually
   replaced, and that's a good thing. The question is how to manage
   that process responsibly. I'll say again, with at most one or two
   exceptions, Boost library authors have been very responsible to their
   users in making changes to the libraries.

2. Robert, you're sounding a lot less flexible about this than you ended
   up being in this thread:
   http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3cg5li1k%24tbl%241%40ger.gmane.org%3e
   Have you forgotten about the issues that caused you to admit there
   might be good reasons for interface-breaking changes?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing