From: Niels Dekker - mail address until 2008-12-31 (nd_mail_address_valid_until_2008-12-31_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-29 14:08:48

There's another update on the Swaptimization issue at the Visual C++
Blog (please scroll to the end):
http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2008/08/11/tr1-fixes-in-vc9-sp1.aspx

So MSVC's Swaptimization has a few bugs concerning std::pair,
tr1::array, tr1::tuple, and tr1::function. Fortunately they're
considering a hotfix. Still, if we're going to add Swaptimization
support to Boost (by adding _Move_operation_category<T>
specializations), we have to realize that it will only be for one
specific compiler version: MSVC 9 SP1. MSVC 10 will no longer do
Swaptimization. Before SP1, MSVC 9 also supported Swaptimization, but it
called std::swap without argument-dependent lookup :-( Only MSVC 9 SP1
does ADL, when calling swap.

Michael Marcin wrote:
> Unless you consider swaps like boost::function's a bug I don't think
> it is fair to assume swap means fast move in general.

Did you take a look at the boost::function::swap patch I submitted a few
months ago? http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/1910 Do you think it
would correctly solve the function::swap issue?

Kind regards,

Niels