Subject: Re: [boost] [RFC] Boost library name mangling and Microsoft's 'secure STL' feature.
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-04 13:26:28

> Feature: <checked-iterators>
> 'on' --> _SECURE_SCL=1
> 'off' (default) --> _SECURE_SCL=0

I believe that the default should match the VC default, which is 1.

This has no performance implications. Whether _SECURE_SCL is 0 or 1 in a
particular project is decided by the user, not us. The autolink code will
check the macro value and attempt to link to the appropriate Boost library.
What is _built_ by default should match what is _used_ by default; it
doesn't matter which one is faster, the choice is not ours to make.

> Name mangling: <checked-iterators> adds 'c' to library name if enabled
> (assuming it's applicable).
>
> Feature: <debugging-iterators>
> 'on' --> _HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING defined
> 'off' (default) --> _HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGGING not defined

Not defined means "on" in debug builds, "off" in release builds. Defined to
0 means off. Defined to 1 means "on" in debug builds, "off", warning and
redefintion back to 0 in release builds.

If we build no debug libraries, this default doesn't matter for MSVC. If we
do, the default should again match the compiler default, either 1 or not
defined.