Subject: Re: [boost] BOOST_CURRENT_FUNCTION [Boost Build updates]
From: Jurko Gospodnetić (jurko.gospodnetic_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-05 17:36:30

   Hi Chris.

> I gues this is as good as ever to mention a few major problems with building
> boost using sun studio.
>
>>From the CC man page:
> The -fast macro expands into compilation options that
> may affect other specified options. For example, in the
> following command, the expansion of the -fast macro
> includes -xtarget=native which reverts -xarch to one of
> the 32-bit architecture options.
>
> Incorrect:
> example% CC -xarch=v9 -fast test.cc
>
> Correct:
> example% CC -fast -xarch=v9 test.cc
>
> sun.jam apparently has no way of controlling the order in which address-model,
> cxxflags, optimization and the various other options are assembled into the
> final command. This results in garbage binaries.
>
> My temporary solution was to remove all compiler options from sun.jam and to
> simply pass in cxxflags in its entirety to bjam. This is obviously not ideal.
>
> A better solution would be to ensure the CC command that is generated is in
> the order:
> <threading> <stlport> <debug-symbols> <optimization> <address-model>
> <cxxflags>
> thereby allowing the user to pass in a cxxflags that provides the
> apprpropriate xtarget and xarch flags and not worrying about later args to
> the compiler undoing those settings via macros such as -fast.

   If this is so, then please modify the sun.jam toolset to construct
the command line with parameters in a suitable order and post a patch to
the Boost Build mailing list.

   That toolset module is the only one constructing the command line and
has complete control over it so which ever ordering you need should be
relatively easy to implement.

   If there are any problems - ask the questions on the Boost Build
mailing list.

   Thank you.

   Best regards,
     Jurko Gospodnetić