Subject: [boost] Mixed use of "include" directives with quoted vs. angle-bracketed params, causing havoc
From: Victor Vojtech Terber (victor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-06 11:02:33

I have multiple Boost versions installed in different file locations. I occasionally ran into problems with mixed-up Boost headers. This was due to Boost's use of both quoted and bracketed syntax of the include directive to include its headers.

The standard allows for different results for resolving the include directive depending on the chosen form. In particular the angle-bracketed form is narrower than the quoted one (see chapters 16.2.2 and 3). So the point in the file system from where the file will actually be included may legally differ, based on the form of the include directive.

I don't mind which alternative Boost uses. But in my opinion it should be consistent inside Boost headers, shouldn't it? With some file system layouts it gets very inconvenient to pre-determine by simple set-up of compiler or environment variables which version will get used. I also fail to see any obvious downside of a unification.