Subject: Re: [boost] Mentoring students
From: Chris De Vries (cdevries_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-06 22:56:50

> on Thu Sep 04 2008, "Chris De Vries" <cdevries-AT-ieee.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My name is Chris De Vries and I am involved with the IEEE student branch at
>> the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia [1]. I am
>> organizing a program that encourages students to become involved with open
>> source. I am looking for projects that are interested in taking on students.
>> The branch will be running an information session and I am hoping to list
>> some projects that are willing to mentor students. Is Boost interested?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris De Vries
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I think you'll probably hear something like this from many projects...
> Boost is already involved in Google Summer of Code, which on the face of
> it seems like a similar program, and takes a great deal of time from
> those participating. I can't speak for others, but it seems unlikely
> that anyone would have the resources to support two such programs.
>
> Maybe you have already thought about how to compete with GSoC and have
> designed it to be more attractive? If so, it would be good to know the
> details.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Dave Abrahams
> BoostPro Computing
> http://www.boostpro.com

Hi Dave,

My idea is that students will become involved with a project by making
some small contributions and then go onto participate in Google Summer
of Code. It is still uncertain if GSoC will run in Australia this
year. Hopefully we will hear soon. I assume this will not fit in well
with the Boost development model where entire modules are proposed,
evaluated then developed. Is this assumption correct?

I think that working together with other programs (GSoC, etc) will
work best, rather than competing against them. I see the IEEE as a
means to assist, inform and encourage students to become involved.
This will be effective because we can do it in person and on campus.
We are also providing free pizza to encourage attendance at our
information session. If this program succeeds I hope that it will
spread to other student branches. As you have suggested it might be
too much load for already strained projects. I will have to wait and
see how it goes.

Thanks for your feedback.

Chris De Vries