Subject: Re: [boost] shared_ptr/shared_count and the cost of use counter allocation
From: Juergen Hunold (juergen.hunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-10 12:51:14

Hi Phil !

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 18:39:21 Phil Endecott wrote:
> Hendrik Schober wrote:
> > In the end I just #define'd 'BOOST_SP_USE_QUICK_ALLOCATOR' and on my
> > platform that was faster than 3 out of 4 of the proprietary allocators
> > used.
>
> Presumably this is the "special purpose allocator" mentioned on this
> page or something like it:
>
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_36_0/libs/smart_ptr/smarttests.htm
>
> However, I don't find any mention of BOOST_SP_USE_QUICK_ALLOCATOR in
> the documentation. Have I missed something?

mmh. might be. I'm using it for _years_ , so I don't know where I got the
information from.

> Is there a reason for not making BOOST_SP_USE_QUICK_ALLOCATOR the default?

See my reply to Michael. The pool is released by the OS on program
termination, which will lead to false positives reported by most memory
checkers. And I guess those would generate more traffic on the users list ;-))

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold       ! Ingenieurgesellschaft für
* voice: ++49 511 262926 57       ! Verkehrs- und Eisenbahnwesen mbH